Saturday, July 22, 2006

Bite it!


Today has been a crazy day! And it's still 87 degrees in Seattle at 7pm. I know I shouldn't complain since most of you are in the Midwest and it's like this all the time-I guess I'm getting spoiled with the upper 70s every day. Anyway, we set a record yesterday it was so hot here-97 degrees. Everyone is complaining.

Back to today...I got up and went for my usual run on the Burke-Gilman trail by my apartment and it was 75 degrees already at 9am so it was sweatier than usual. And then I headed up to the Farmers Market (the one with the berries) and spent some time there. Then I headed down on my bike to the Space Needle. Gina asked me what the needle was today (gina-you need to read up on Seattle!!) so I'm including a picture I took this afternoon. The Bite of Seattle was going on in the area around the needle. It was really touristy, and there were midway rides all around the actual space needle-and you all know with midway rides comes carnies (small hands-smell like cabbage...) and they were particulary sweaty today. Ew.

So, I had this great veggie crepe from the booth of the restaurant Crepe Thyme. I'm not sure where it's located in Seattle-but the crepes were amazing. Then I had a strawberry lemonade. I managed to resist all of the desserts they had-including the generic elephant ears (which I love). Then I rode my bike home without getting too lost-downtown Seattle is kind of confusing because of the way it's shaped around the Bay and the lakes that I get confused and tend to take the wrong way. I've gotten lost every single time I've rode my bike towards downtown.

There is also this really strange looking building at the base of the needle. I think it was built or paid for by one of the founders of Microsoft (Paul Allen maybe?-I'm too lazy to look it up) anyway, there is some kind of music museum and the science fiction museum housed in the building. It reminds me of the big weird looking pavilion at Millenium Park in Chicago. Those two concrete rails are actually the tracks to the Monorail that is supposed to run from Seattle Center to Downtown but there was a fire on it last year and they haven't gotten it up and running yet. Hopefully, I'll get to ride it before I leave. It's pretty funky looking isn't it??

After I got back from the Sci Fi Museum I took the bus north-which I haven't done yet to the Target. It was pretty uneventful. There is a big mall but there was nothing special. It looks like the mall was an afterthought actually-Macy's and Nordstroms were built first as separate buildings and they decided to through up a mall in between and it looks really strange. Good times.

I think I've bored you long enough and Joel pointed out that I've already started repeating myself (with the berries)...sorry about that!

I think I'm going to go to Discovery Park tomorrow morning so that the heat doesn't get so unbearable. I'll post more pics tomorrow!

No comments: