Sunday, July 23, 2006

I discovered Discovery Park

Today was a great day! I got up early and went to Discovery Park-which is a really huge park on the western edge of the Sound-north of downtown Seattle. It was a great bike ride-not too hilly. And when I got there-I locked my bike up and started hiking. The Loop Trail goes around the inner parts of the park and it's 2.8 miles around. I added another mile on the South Beach Trail because I had heard that the beaches there are amazing. There were these gorgeous meadows with amazing views of the Olympic Mountains on top of the bluffs. Then I headed down quite a ways towards South Beach and the Lighthouse. The beach was nice-definitely not a swimming beach. It was low tide and there were lots of people looking for sea creatures. I watched this
huge bird-with long legs and a really long neck walking along the beach in water all the way up to it's body-it was spearing fish with its beak. It was cool-but none of my pictures turned out! Darn camera. The lighthouse was practically on the beach-not on a bluff which I thought was interesting. And I want to end this week of posts with everyones favorite-Mt. Ranier. When I turned to walk back along the beach to head to my bike. There it was-looking massive and a lot like my eyes were playing tricks on me. Can you spot it? (hint: It's right in the middle of the picture-click on it to make it bigger). Not sure how much I'll be able to blog from Vermont (I leave tomorrow) but I'll try to at least tell you what I'm up to. I will only have my work computer and I'm not sure how reliable that is. We'll see.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Mol! Looks like you are having a great time, so many great places to explore!!! I hope you have a good time in Vermont. Can't wait to see photos from Vermont ( even if you can't post from there!)
Nathan

Anonymous said...

I lived in vermont for a year! In montpelier there is not too much. Not too far away is the ben and jerry's factory. Also burlington is close and there are great restaurants and places there. Specifically Higher Ground in S. Burlington. Very fun. Good coffee everywhere- green mtn coffee co. Sandra Bullock's sister owns a bakery in Montpelier- no idea which one! Hope you're having fun! Swimming in the Winooski river is fun too- ask locals they can help you find spots.